California Veterans Memorials
Veterans memorials and cemeteries are an important element of CalVet which are supported through a partnership of state and federal funding, in addition to donations from veterans and family members, CalVet manages the construction and maintenance of several veterans memorials located in Sacramento's Capitol Park.
Capitol Park Veterans Memorials:
- California Veterans Memorial
- California Vietnam Veterans Memorial
- The Bell of the USS California
- Spanish American War Memorial
- Mexican American Veterans Memorial
- Memorial Grove (Civil War Memorial)
Other CalVet responsibilities in this area are:
- Maintenance and updates to the California Veterans Registry, which is accessible through an electronic kiosk located at the California State Military Museum. Any California veteran may have their personal information entered into the registry without charge.
- Maintenance of the Registry of California Veterans Memorials. This registry is intended to provide on-line information on veterans memorials in the state.
- The establishment of the Northern California State Veterans Cemetery near Redding. This is the first state-owned and operated veterans cemetery in California. The cemetery was funded by a grant from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs State Cemetery Grant Program.
For more information on other cemeteries and burial assistance please refer to the USDVA and County Veterans Service Office web sites.
If you are interested in viewing the California Veterans Registry kiosk it is located at the California State Military Museum:
California State Military Museum
1119 2nd Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
California Department of Veterans Affairs
Veterans Services Division
1227 O Street, Room 101
Sacramento, California 95814
Or call the office at (800) 952-5626 or (916) 653-2573.