Skip to Main Content
  • Recent
How do I obtain my Certificate of Eligibility?

You will need a copy of your DD 214 (Release from Active Duty) to confirm that you have qualifying service. If you do not have a copy, obtaining one is easier than ever. Once you have searched your personal records and determine that you no longer have a copy, there are several things you can do. In the past, veterans were advised to have their DD214 recorded in the county they went home to after their release. If you did that, contact the county recorder and you should be able to get a copy there. If you used a DD214 to apply for other benefits, such as educational or medical, that agency may be able to give you a copy.

If neither of these ideas work, the fastest way to obtain a copy is through the National Archives, National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) on their website at They are the records custodian for most discharged and retired members of all branches of service. Expect a two to three week wait to receive your record, but ordering online may speed up the process.

If you do not have internet access, you can order a copy by mailing or faxing a Standard Form 180 (SF-180) to The National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri 63132, Fax Number 314-801-9195. The SF-180 form may be obtained by fax from the NPRC by calling 301-837-0990 from a fax machine - follow their directions and request document number 2255.

If you are currently serving on active duty, you are also eligible after you meet the 90 days service requirement. Obtain a Statement of Service from your Commanding Officer, Adjutant, or Personnel Officer.

Current members of the National Guard or Reserves whose only active duty was for training purposes and who are first time homebuyers and wish to purchase properties in certain target areas are eligible after one year of service with a total six year service commitment.

CalVet can begin processing your loan without the DD214, and we may be able to confirm your dates of service directly through USDVA. If you have any questions about eligibility or need assistance, contact us at 866-653-2510.  If you are currently serving on regular active duty, you are eligible.

Loan Pre-Approvals
Home Loans FAQ

How do I obtain my Certificate of Eligibility?