Skip to Main Content
I need emergency food and or shelter, where can I go for help?

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program is the name for the federal food stamp program. The name reflects the changes made to meet the needs of clients, including a focus on nutrition and an increase in benefit amounts. State programs may have different names. The online application system allows individuals to apply for the program through a secured site. For more information, call (877) 847-FOOD (3663) or apply online at


Emergency Food and Shelter Program

The Emergency Food and Shelter Program (EFSP) expands the work of local social service agencies (non-profit and government) in assisting people with economic emergencies. United Way serves as the fiscal agent for the EFSP, and EFSP staff is housed in United Way's headquarters. For more information about United Way, go to


Emergency Food Assistance Program

Food banks solicit and warehouse donated food and other products. This food is then distributed to a variety of community agencies which serve people in need. Many food banks provide food to hundreds of organizations that would likely not be able to obtain a steady supply of food or store enough food to meet the needs of the people they serve. Some food banks also operate programs that distribute food directly to individuals. To locate a nearby food bank, go to or call (866) 321-4435.

Homeless Veterans Outreach & Awareness; Housing & Supportive Services; Stand Downs
Veteran Services Benefits - FAQ

I need emergency food and or shelter, where can I go for help?