Skip to Main Content
Veterans Identification Card


On July 20, 2015, the president signed into law the Veterans Identification Card Act of 2015. This act allows Veterans to apply for an identification card directly from VA.  The VA identification card will allow Veterans to demonstrate proof of service for discounts at private restaurants and businesses.

It should be noted that the identification card is different from a Veteran Health Identification card or a DoD Uniformed Services or retiree ID card. As such, the VA identification cards cannot be used as proof of eligibility to any federal benefits and does not grant access to military installations.

You can use your printed Veteran ID Card (VIC) instead of your DD214 to get discounts on goods and services offered to Veterans. You can also use other identification cards for this purpose. Find out if you need a VIC or if you already have what you need.

Should I request a printed Veteran ID card?

You do not need to request this card if you have one of these:

  • Veterans Health Identification Card (VHIC), or

  • Department of Defense Identification Card—either a Common Access Card (CAC) or a Uniformed Services ID Card, or

  • State-issued ID (driver’s license) with a Veteran designation or a state-issued Veteran ID Card. Check with your state to see if they issue Veteran ID Cards.

You can use any of these cards to get the same discounts. If you already have one of them, you don’t need a VIC, but you can still apply for it if you’d like. If you don’t have one of these cards, you should request a Veteran ID Card.

Ready to request a Veteran ID Card? Apply here!




Veteran Services Benefits - Card

Veterans Identification Card